Saturday, April 4, 2009

Don't Get Eliminated!!

I love elimination dinners. I realize after all of my Vegas posts and now 2 elimination dinners, I probably look like I have a gambling problem, but we really don't do these things often. It's just been a banner year for gambling! Just in case anyone reading does have a gambling problem...please follow this link.For those of you that don't know what an elimination dinner is, let me explain. Usually only 200 tickets are sold for the event. You pay for your ticket which includes dinner and drinks for two. There is a board with all 200 ticket numbers posted and then throughout the evening numbers are drawn and....yep....eliminated! If you are the last number standing you win a major award. Going rate around here is $1000. Also included in the dinners are various other schemes to milk any extra dollars you have hanging around right out of your wallet. Tip boards (also called fish bowls in some places), 50/50 drawing, 200th ticket raffle, chances on donated prizes, really just about any gambling gig you can dream up can be run at these things. This most recent dinner was to benefit the local Lion's Club. My husband, Lion Jeff, is a member and I know it's for a good cause so I don't mind spending the extra dough!
The most fantastic prize of the evening, hands down, was the gift certificate that the Nelson's received in their prize pack from a raffle. I guess spell check doesn't pick up on things this hilarious! Apparently, there's a new gig in town. Not only is the restaurant name spelled incorrectly, but the name of the town is Sabraton.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard those are really fun!

Mountain Mama said...

I will have to try the new Long John Slivers in Saberton!